Chapter Two: The Vanishing Glass (Teacher's notes)
1. How many years had gone by since the Dursley found their nephew on their doorstep?
2. On their mantle and throughout their house when Harry first arrived where numerous
photos of what appeared to be a large pink beach ball wearing clothes. Who were those pictures of?
Dudley as a baby
3. What odd thing does Harry Potter dream about?
A flying motorcycle
4. When our hero gets up he has a house hold chore to do... What is it?
Make breakfast, cook the bacon, fry some eggs
5. It's Dudley's birthday and he confronted with 37 gifts when he wakes up that morning so
why is he angry?
Because he had and even larger number of presents last year.
6. Uncle Vernon warns Harry "any funny business... and you'll be in that cupboard till Christmas!
What sort of stange things happen arround Harry?
His hair is cut off and the next day it is as long as it was before. A jumper of Dudley's shrunk seemingly magicly.
Harry was found on the roof of the school's kitchens with no explanation of how he got there.
7. Speaking of bizzare events : What happened to Mrs Figg?
She broke her leg.
8. This is too easy: where is the "Family" going today?
9. What is a Knickerbocker Glory? Moreover who got to eat one at the restaraunt?
This is actually cheating since it is not explained in the book:
The knickerbocker glory is a very elaborate ice cream sundae that is served in the United Kingdom. It goes well beyond the
banana split, itself a rich dessert. The knickerbocker glory was first described in the 1930s and contains ice cream, jelly,
fruit and cream. Layers of these different sweet tastes are alternated in a tall glass and are topped with kinds of syrup,
nuts and whipped cream.
10. Harry found the largest snake in the reptile house fast asleep. When the Boa constrictor
did wake up what was the something surprising thing that he did?
11. Again this poser shouldn't be too arduous: What appaling thing happend to Dudley?
He fell in the cage with the boa constrictor and the was stuck inside when the glass reappeared.
12. As the boa constrictor was leaving he mentioned a destination and then hissed "Thanks amigo"
to Harry. What was the intent or objective of his rather ambitious trip?
Bonus Question Uncle Vernon chuckles... what is a synonym for chuckle?
a laugh or to laugh
BASIC KNICKERBOCKER GLORY from Arribel Figg's Hogwrt's Express
One carton (1/2 gallon) of vanilla ice cream
Fresh fruits, such as bananas, peaches, strawberries or raspberries; also may use canned fruit, such as fruit cocktail
One or more fruit flavors of sweetened gelatin dessert, such as Jell-O
Custard, either from a quick mix, or use recipe that follows. (Look for the quick mixes in your supermarket's baking supplies aisle)
Chocolate syrup; other fruit syrups, such as strawberry, also can be used. Juices, such as orange, also can be included.
Whipped cream in spray can (in U.S., Reddi-Whip is an example)
Chopped nuts, such as peanuts or walnuts
A favorite topper, such as fresh mint or maraschino cherries
First do your advance work. If you are using homemade custard, follow the recipe below and refrigerate to chill. For instant custard mix and sweetened gelatin, follow the box instructions and refrigerate both so they will set.
Wash and cut up fresh fruits into small, bite-sized pieces. Open can of fruit cocktail if you are using and drain the syrup.
Set up work area by placing four to six tall tumblers or knickerbocker glory glasses (tall sundae glasses) on counter. You'll need a scoop for the ice cream and some spoons to handle the fruits and gelatin.
Place alternating layers of ice cream, fruit, gelatin dessert and custard in the sundae glasses up to the very top. Spray the whipped cream on top of each sundae to desired height. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. For an added touch, top each dessert with fresh mint leaves or a maraschino cherry (the bright red ones you see at the ice cream parlor).