Data used to be an asset that only companies and organisations had to deal with. The recent development of the World Wide Web has created a situation in which everybody should be aware of data management, manipulation, access and visualisation. This is because data on the Web has become crucial to our daily life: open data is changing the way public institutions are working, access to Web APIs make application development by third parties much easier, social networks are inciting more and more people to put personal, private, sensitive data online, and linked data is transforming the Web into a huge data base. The Web of data is thus complementing the already existing Web of multimedia documents, the social Web and the Web of applications.
The Web Intelligence community in Rhône Alpes and Universität Bonn are bringing together experts on various aspects of the Web of data in order to inform, teach and train attendees in the technologies that will enable them to both contribute to and take advantage of the Web of data to its full potential. During the week of the 25th to 29th of August, 2014, students will learn from formal presentations and hands-on sessions that will make them scientifically and practically competent with these technologies.
The week will be divided into half-day sessions, each of which provides scientific and practical knowledge to the attendees. The expected topics are:
- publishing and organising Web data
- querying and structuring Web data
- reasoning on the Web of data
- mining the Web of data
- visualising the Web of data
- protecting data in the Web of data
- Opening of Application for participation:
- 15 March 2014
- End of Application:
- 30 May 2014
- Notification of acceptance:
- 7 June 2014
- Deadline for registration:
- 30 June 2014
- Summer School:
- 25-29 August 2014
Attendance and speakers
We welcome international participants, within a limit of about 50 people. In case we receive more applications than we can host, we will select attendees based on their CVs and motivation. The participation fee will be €300 for students and €400 for others, but students who have financial difficulties and show the value of participating to the school, will have their registration fully paid.
The speakers have been invited from the best known institutions in the field, in order to ensure highest quality in content and pedagogy. We will update the web site frequently as we get confirmed speakers and plan the programme.
- Antoine Zimmermann (Institut Henri Fayol - ENS Mines Saint-Étienne) - chair
- Sören Auer (Universität Bonn - Fraunhofer IAIS)
- Philippe Beaune (Institut Henri Fayol - ENS Mines Saint-Étienne)
- Jérôme David (INRIA/LIG - Université Pierre Mendès France)
- Frédérique Laforest (Laboratoire Claude Chappe - Télécom Saint-Étienne)
- Christoph Lange (Universität Bonn - Fraunhofer IAIS)
- Pierre Maret (Laboratoire Hubert Curien - Université Jean Monnet)
- Xavier Serpaggi (Institut Henri Fayol - ENS Mines Saint-Étienne)
- Thomas Steiner (LIRIS / Google)
Data, Web, Linked Data, Semantic Web, Data integration, Querying, Mining, Open Data, Privacy, Data vizualisation